☼ Tattoo Aftercare ☼
Thank you for letting me adorn your skin. If you have any questions not answered here or feedback, send me an email at email@example.com . If you need a touch up, fill out a booking form to check my availability.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. If at any point, your tattoo starts to ache, swell, ooze, or otherwise looking alarming, please contact a medical professional.
Second Skin (Saniderm)
What is Saniderm?
- Saniderm is a breathable, waterproof plastic film applied to your body to protect your tattoo for the first few days of healing.
How long do I keep the bandage on for?
- Up to 5 days. For my body, I take it off at 2-3 days, but this can vary for everyone.
What happens if I have a leak/lifting/irritation/chafing?
- If you notice a leak in your Saniderm seal or chafing around the edges, take the bandage off immediately and follow the instructions below.
How do I remove Saniderm?
- I highly advise taking a warm shower before attempting to remove Saniderm to loosen the adhesive. In any case, you'll want to remove the bandage pulling with the grain of your hair starting from the corner. As soon as the bandage is off, gently wash the area under an indirect stream with warm water and mild/unscented soap. Pat dry with a clean paper towel. Apply a thin layer of unscented lotion/balm.
General Healing Practices
How long will my tattoo take to heal?
- Two weeks normally, but a tattoo can take up 4 to 6 weeks to fully settle (no raises or flaky skin). You'll notice the skin is irritated for the first couple of days, but the swelling and tenderness should resolve itself within the first week.
How do I clean my tattoo?
- Always wash your hands before touching your tattoo. Gently wash your tattoo under an indirect stream with warm water and unscented/mild soap (like Dr.Bronner's or Cetaphil). Use a clean paper towel to pat the area dry, or wait 15 minutes before applying a *thin* layer of unscented lotion/balm. Clean your tattoo at least twice a day (in the morning and before bed) and any time you get the area dirty/sweaty.
My tattoo is itchy. What can I do?
- Itching is a normal sign of healing. Do not pick at any scabs or flakes coming off of your tattoo. If you feel itchy or dry, apply a *thin* layer of unscented lotion/balm with clean hands.
What do I need to avoid while my tattoo is healing?
- Direct sunlight. Submerging in water (sauna, gym, hot tub, etc.). Tight clothing around the tattooed area.